Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day Paper Crafts


I don't usually go crazy over Valentine's Day gifts.  However, this year I am on vacation with my husband and his family, so I decided to make a little gift for everyone.  Thankfully, I thought of this before we left, so it gave me time to make sure it fit the following criteria:
  • The items would have to be small since it needed to fit in my luggage, which was already overflowing with my daughter's stuff as well as mine.
  • The item had to be able to withstand the cold of flying, and the heat of the tropics - chocolate was OUT.
  • It had to be simple and appropriate for both males and females ranging from mid-20s to mid-50s
While I searched for fun Valentine crafts that weren't too cheesy or over-involved, I ran across this tutorial for crocheted hearts:

http://saltforthespirit.blogspot.com/2009/02/itty-bitty-crochet-heart-tutorial.html

I quickly whipped up five little hearts in some pink crochet thread:


They were cute, but obviously I was looking for a little something more.  I started looking around on Pinterest and found a pin filled with cute boxes folded out of craft paper.  After a quick internet search, I came across a box that was simple enough for a beginner to make, but still somewhat fancy.  Sadly I lost the link, otherwise I would post it.  I could then fill the boxes with those conversation hearts which are a lot harder to melt than chocolate!  (The best part?  Walmart had a five pack for just a dollar!)


First I printed and cut out the template from the internet.  I picked a few fun sheets of craft paper and traced the outline on the back:


After cutting them out, I tried my hand at "scoring" the backs so that they folded neater.  However, this pattern was simple enough I probably could have just used a straight edge to fold them.


And here is the final result!



The best part is, I was able to flatten the boxes down and tuck them in a book to be assembled once we arrive!

2 comments:

  1. How cute! Though I don't care for those semi-flavores chalk 'candies'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually kind of like the conversation hearts, but only about once or twice a year.

    Making the boxes was actually a lot of fun. I held on to the pattern for future use. I figure it's a great way to dress up giving money or something small as a gift.

    ReplyDelete